This is a slight variation of a recipe by Antoni Porowski published on Oprah’s Magazine.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp Olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, plus 3 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro stems
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (1 large lime)
- 6 dates pitted and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 Tbsp roasted salted chopped almonds
- Arrange rack in middle of oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Remove green leaves from cauliflower and discard stem. Cut cauliflower lengthwise into thin slices (3/4 inch thick)
- In a small bowl whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, turmeric, and salt.
- Arrange cauliflower steaks and pieces on a baking sheet, drizzle with the oil mixture, and turn it gently to coat. Roast until golden but not mushy. 25 to 30 minutes
- To make the dressing whisk together cilantro stems, honey, remaining olive oil, lime juice and a pinch of salt
- Arrange roasted cauliflower on a platter and drizzle with dressing. Top with dates, cilantro leaves and almonds.
- Serve hot
- 1 Large Bunch Cilantro
- 4 Green Onions
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Avocados diced
- Red Pepper Flakes and Pepper to Taste
Blend all ingredients (except avocados) in a blender or food processor. Transfer mix to a bowl and add diced avocados mixing well. Serve with Steak.
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 cups watermelon, cubed
1/2 feta cheese, crumbled
1 teaspoon dry basil
1/2 cup sliced almonds
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tsp. honey
Cook quinoa according to package directions, season with garlic salt. Let cool to room temperature. Combine watermelon, feta, basil, and almonds in a large bowl.Whisk olive oil, lime juice, and honey in a small bowl.Add quinoa to bowl with watermelon, pour dressing over, and stir to combine. Chill and serve cold.
- 1 Medium Acorn Squash
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut squash in half and put the halves upside down onto a cookie sheet. Bake until it begins to soften, approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Remove squash from the oven and turn onto a plate so that the flesh is facing upwards. Place butter and brown sugar into the squash, and place remaining squash over the other piece. Place it in the oven again and bake another 30 minutes.
- 2 16 oz cans garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 lime
- 1 6-oz carton plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
In a food processor combine garbanzo beans, onion, garlic, parsley, chili powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper. Pulse until finely chopped. Add flour. Pulse until mixture holds together.
Divide mixture into 12 balls. Flatten each. Chill for at least 30 minutes (keep them chilled until right before cooking).
Meanwhile, remove 1 tsp. zest from lime. Juice half the lemon. Stir together with yogurt and cucumber. Cover and chill.
In a large skillet heat oil. Add patties. Cook until golden brown turning once.
Serve with yogurt sauce
- 1 small cauliflower chopped
- 1 large potato (10 oz) peeled and diced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk
Cook cauliflower and potato with enough water to cover until tender. Drain and mix with milk, butter, cumin, salt and return mixture to pot. Stir until heated through.
Drizzle with cilantro pesto before serving.
- 2 cups packed cilantro leaves and stems (about 1 bunch)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 2/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 2 apples peeled and cut in pieces
- 2 tbsp agave nectar (or honey)
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup walnuts
In a medium-size saucepan, combine the quinoa, vegetable oil, and water, then bring them to a boil (Season with salt and garlic salt to taste). Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl, stir, and let it cool completely.
Add the apples, cranberries, feta cheese and 2/3 cup of walnuts to the quinoa and toss the ingredients well.
Dressing. Add olive oil, 1/3 cup of the walnuts, agave nectar and lime juice to a food processor.
Add the dressing to the quinoa and toss once more to coat the salad. Serve at room temperature.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1/2 cup (1/4 pound) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 large can of mushrooms
- 1 large can of asparagus
- Salt and pepper
Cook the quinoa in 2 cups of water (add salt, a tablespoon of olive oil and garlic or onion salt to taste). While the quinoa is cooking, heat one tablespoon of the oil in a pan. Add the garlic and sauté until lightly browned. Add the lime juice and wine and allow the mixture to reduce until it is syrup-like. Reduce heat to low and whisk in the cold butter, a few pieces at a time, until the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
Drain the quinoa and stir into the sauce. Add the mushrooms and asparagus. Serve cold.
1 lb. very small red potatoes scrubbed
2 ears fresh corn (or 1 can whole kernel corn)
1 ripe avocado, diced
2 scallions (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium saucepan cover potatoes with lightly salted water. Bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook potatoes until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 20 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again. Cut each potato in half, transfer to a medium bowl and refrigerate to cool
- If using fresh corn, cook it in the grill with the lid closed as much as possible, until the kernels are brown. Turn often. Cut kernels from cobs
- Add corn to bowl with potatoes along with avocados, scallions, and cilantro
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, and garlic. Gradually whisk in the oil. Pour over the potato mixture and toss to combine
- Season with salt and pepper
- Refrigerate until it is time to serve
Serve with Grilled Skirt Steak.