- 4 medium red bell peppers, or 3 large ones, halved from stem to base, seeds and membranes removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped in small pieces
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the halved peppers in a large baking dish. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the peppers and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Rub the oil over both sides of the peppers, then arrange them with the cut sides facing up. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the peppers are easily pierced by a fork. Set aside.
While the peppers are roasted, prepare the filling:
In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onion and salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until they’re soft.
Add the cilantro, garlic, and cumin. While stirring, cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 to 60 seconds.
Remove the pot from the heat and add the rice, beans, and lime juice. Stir to combine, then season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
To stuff the peppers, pour off any excess juice pooled within the peppers. Then stuff each pepper with the rice mixture. Top the peppers with the cheese.
Bake at 425 for 12 to 13 minutes, until the cheese is golden in spots.