3/4 cup cilantro leaves
4 garlic cloves (2 whole garlic cloves and 2 garlic cloves minced), divided
4 1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 skinless chicken thighs, bone-in
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup white rice
1 ear of corn, cut off the cob
Salt to taste
1. Add cilantro leaves, 2 garlic cloves and 1/4 cup of chicken broth to a blender. Blend until mixture is thoroughly combined. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, carefully add chicken thighs. Cook on first side for 4-5 minutes, until slightly browned. Flip on second side and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
3. If the chicken absorbed all of the oil, add one more tablespoon of olive oil. Add yellow onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Next, add red bell pepper and ground cumin, allowing to cook for 1-2 more minutes. Add minced garlic atop of mixture and cook until fragrant.
4. Add the rice and cilantro liquid mixture to the pot and mix, being sure to completely coat the rice. Gently add the chicken back to the pot and cover with the remaining 4 cups of chicken broth. The broth should just cover the chicken. Add corn. Cook for 20-30 minutes, and until rice is fully cooked.
5. When you’re ready to serve, add salt to taste.
6. Add a few cilantro leaves to each bowl of soup, along with a few wedges of lime.
Yields 4 servings
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1/4 cup wine
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Cook the carrots and broth until the carrots are tender. Put in the blender and mix with milk, butter, salt and pepper. Bring the mix back to the stove for 10 minutes. Add wine.
You must be logged in to post a comment.