For the rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped very small
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in small slices
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in small slices
- 2 cups sliced raw mushrooms
- 1 pound pork cut in small cubes
- 1 20 oz can of pineapple chunks in juice
- 6 cups cooked white rice
- 6 tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- juice of ½ a lemon
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 5 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple above)
- Heat the oil in a large pan or wok. Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly on medium heat until the onion softens. Add in the red and green bell peppers, and the sliced mushrooms. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the pork and pineapple pieces (reserve pineapple juice for the sauce) and cook for further 2-3 minutes. Add in the cooked rice. Toss everything together. Add the soy sauce and garlic salt and continue to cook, moving everything around the pan regularly so it doesn’t stick, until the rice is hot (takes about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the lemon juice, stir and taste. Add more soy sauce/lemon if needed.
- To prepare the sauce mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and place in the microwave. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce bubbles.
- Serve rice with sauce on the side
You must be logged in to post a comment.