14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and more for the pan
6 pounds yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon black pepper
6 tablespoons finely chopped chives
2/3 cup bread crumbs
2/3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Lightly grease a 9 inch by 13 inch baking pan
- In a large pot, bring the potatoes, 4 quarts water and 2 tablespoons salt to a boil. Boil potatoes until tender. Drain.
- Mash potatoes with 10 tablespoons butter, sour cream, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Mash in the chives. Taste and adjust seasoning. Spread potatoes into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons butter, bread crumbs and cheese. Mix until it forms coarse crumbs.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle crumbs over the top of the potato casserole and bake until golden (30 to 40 minutes).