- 2 pounds eggplant
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef ▢ 1/2 cup red wine , dry (optional)
- 1 can 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 beef bouillon cube
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup panic crumbs
- Cut eggplant – thin slices. Place eggplant on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt. Leave to sweat for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Meat Sauce and Béchamel Sauce.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cover eggplant with paper towels and tap dry
- Lay on parchment paper lined trays, brush with oil., and bake 15 – 20 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, then cook the garlic and onion for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef nd cook until it changes from pink to brown
- Add wine cook for 2 minutes
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes, or until reduced to a thick sauce.
- Melt butter in a pan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add the milk. Then stir regularly for 3 to 5 minutes or until it thickens. Add chicken cube, pepper and nutmeg
- Remove from the stove and whisk in cheese
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then whisk the eggs in. Cover with lid until required.
- Lower oven to 350F
- Place half the eggplant in the bottom of a baking dish then top with the meat sauce
- Top with remaining eggplant, then pour over the Béchamel Sauce, sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until golden brown.