This recipe makes 4 servings.
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup melted butter
- Paprika and pepper to taste
8 slices smoked salmon
4 English muffins, split
- To Make Hollandaise: Fill the bottom of a double boiler part-way with water. Make sure that water does not touch the top pan. Bring water to a gentle simmer. In the top of the double boiler, whisk together egg yolks, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Add the melted butter to egg yolk mixture 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time while whisking yolks constantly. If hollandaise begins to get too thick, add a teaspoon or two of hot water. Continue whisking until all butter is incorporated. Whisk in lime juice and vinegar, then remove from heat. Place a lid on pan to keep sauce warm.
- To Poach Eggs: Fill a large saucepan with 3 inches of water. Bring water to a gentle simmer, then add vinegar. Carefully break eggs into simmering water, and allow to cook for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Yolks should still be soft in center. Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon and set on a warm plate.
- While eggs are poaching, toast the English muffins and once they are toasted, top each one with a slice of salmon and one poached egg.
- Place 2 muffins on each plate and drizzle with hollandaise sauce. Serve immediately.