- 4 (6-8 oz) filet mignon steaks
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- ¾ cup brandy
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ cup beef demi glace
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Season filets on both sides with salt and pepper
- Over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan, add olive oil and then the meat. Brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove steak and set aside lightly covered.
- Add mushrooms to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes. Add shallots and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, and when it become slightly colored, add brandy. Cook, scraping up any brown bits in the pan, until most of the brandy has evaporated. Add mustard, worcestershire sauce and red wine. Cook 2 minutes to reduce slightly. Add the demi glace and cook 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Place meat back in the pan to warm in the sauce
- To serve, place one filet on each plate. Swirl butter into sauce and pour over meat.
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes